Persian lamb and chickpea stew. A lovely, healthy, Persian dish, which can easily be made with cuts of Beef. Try it in place of your usual stew some evening! :)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1½ lbs lamb shoulder, finely diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- ½ cup water
- 10 green onions, chopped thin
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped celery leaves
- ½ lb fresh spinach, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- ⅔ cup garbanzo beans, drained
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large heavy pan, and saute the lamb until well browned on all sides.
- Add the onion, cooking until soft, then add salt, pepper to taste, turmeric, lemon juice, and water, bringing to a boil.
- Lower heat and cover, simmering for 15 minutes.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a skillet and saute the onions, celery leaves, spinach, and parsley for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add these vegetables and the chickpeas to the meat and mix together thoroughly.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer another 20 minutes, or until meat is tender, adding water as necessary to keep up with consistency.
- Serve with steamed basmati rice.