Lithuanian coffee cake
- 2 cakes yeast, softened in ¼ c. lukewarm water sweetened with ¼ tsp. sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 5 cups flour
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup golden raisins
- Soften yeast in water and sugar; set aside.
- Heat milk below boiling, add butter, sugar and salt.
- Cool and add eggs, 1 at a time, beating in bowl.
- Add flour, softened yeast and vanilla.
- Wait 15 minutes and knead dough until dough becomes satiny.
- Place dough in a greased bowl in a warm place.
- After it doubles in bulk (about 2 hours) punch down.
- Add 1 cup golden raisins and knead to distribute them.
- Divide in half and form 2 loaves.
- Allow to rise 1 hour.
- Bake 350°F for about 45 minutes.