Traditional South African staple.
- Bring the water to a boil in a large saucepan then add the salt and pour the meal into the centre of the pan so that it forms a pile (do not stir).
- Remove the pan from the heat, cover with a lid and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Take a large fork (2 pronged meat fork is best) and stir the mixture until the pap is a fine-grained crumble (similar to coucous).
- Re-cover set over a low heat and allow to simmer gently for 45 minutes.
- Serve hot in place of rice or mashed potatoes.