- 1 pound ground Chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound low fat mozzarella Cheese, grated
- 1/2 small Onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium green pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 small tomato, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups instant corn flour (masa harina)
- 6 cups water
- In a nonstick skillet over low heat, saut‚ Chicken in oil until Chicken turns white. Constantly stir the Chicken to keep it from sticking.
- Add Onion, garlic, green pepper, and tomato. Cook until Chicken mixture is cooked through. Remove skillet from stove and let mixture cool in the refrigerator.
- While the Chicken mixture is cooling, place the flour in a large mixing bowl and stir in enough water to make a stiff tortilla-like dough.
- When the Chicken mixture has cooled, mix in the Cheese.
- Divide the dough into 24 portions. With your hands,
roll the dough into balls and flatten each ball into a 1/2-inch thick circle. Put a spoonful of the Chicken mixture in the middle of each circle of dough and bring the edges to the center. Flatten the ball of dough again until it is 1/2-inch thick.
- In a very hot, iron skillet, cook the pupusas on each side until golden brown.
- Serve hot with Curtido salvadore.
- Yield: 12 servings