Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Ground chicken and lowfat cheese help keep down the fat and calories in this tasty dish.
- Contributed by Keep the Beat: Heart Healthy Recipes by the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Serves: 12
- 1 lb chicken breast, ground
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ lb low fat mozzarella cheese, grated
- ½ small onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium green pepper, seeded, minced
- 1 small tomato, finely chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- 5 cups instant corn flour (masa harina)
- 6 cups water
- In nonstick skillet, sauté chicken in oil over low heat until it turns white.
- Stir chicken constantly to keep it from sticking.
- Add onion, garlic, green pepper, and tomato.
- Cook chicken mixture through.
- Remove skillet from stove and let mixture cool in refrigerator.
- Meanwhile, place flour in large mixing bowl and stir in enough water to make stiff, tortilla-like dough.
- When chicken mixture has cooled, mix in cheese.
- Divide dough into 24 portions.
- With your hands, roll dough into balls and flatten each into ½–inch thick circle.
- Put spoonful of chicken mixturvbncvbne in middle of each circle of dough and bring edges to center.
- Flatten ball of dough again until it is ½–inch thick.
- In very hot iron skillet, cook pupusas on each side until golden brown.
- Serve hot.