Pumpkin Bread Topped with Crystallized Ginger from the Public Health Cookbook, Seattle & King County Office of Public Health—original recipe, in the public domain
- Serves: 24
- 1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin
- 1⅔ cups sugar
- ⅔ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup low-fat milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs + 4 egg whites
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- vanilla glaze
- 3 tablespoons crystallized ginger, chopped
- Move oven rack to bottom position. Heat oven to 350°F.
- Grease 2 loaf pans, 8½ x 4½ x 2½ or 9 x 5 x 3".
- Mix pumpkin, sugar, applesauce, milk, vanilla and eggs in a large bowl.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except vanilla glaze and ginger.
- Pour batter evenly into each of the pans.
- Bake for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in middle of bread comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes then loosen bread and cool completely on a wire rack (about 1 hour).
- Thoroughly mix glaze ingredients in a bowl.
- Drizzle on bread.
- Sprinkle with chopped crystallized ginger.