Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Pumpkin Bread Topped with Crystallized Ginger from the Public Health Cookbook, Seattle & King County Office of Public Health—original recipe, in the public domain
- Serves: 24
- 1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin
- 1⅔ cups sugar
- ⅔ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup low-fat milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs + 4 egg whites
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- vanilla glaze
- 3 tablespoons crystallized ginger, chopped
- Move oven rack to bottom position. Heat oven to 350°F.
- Grease 2 loaf pans, 8½ x 4½ x 2½ or 9 x 5 x 3".
- Mix pumpkin, sugar, applesauce, milk, vanilla and eggs in a large bowl.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except vanilla glaze and ginger.
- Pour batter evenly into each of the pans.
- Bake for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in middle of bread comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes then loosen bread and cool completely on a wire rack (about 1 hour).
- Thoroughly mix glaze ingredients in a bowl.
- Drizzle on bread.
- Sprinkle with chopped crystallized ginger.