Fruit & Vegetable Recipes II by the South Carolina Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 cup cooked or canned pumpkin
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup raisins, optional
- In a mixing bowl, combine sugar, pumpkin, oil, water and eggs, beat well.
- Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to pumpkin mixture and mix well.
- Stir in nuts and raisins, if desired.
- Pour into a greased 9"x5"x3" loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 °F for 65–70 minutes or until bread tests done.
- Cool 10 minutes in pan before removing to a wire rack.