The garlic doesn't really give these a pronounced garlic flavor — it just eliminates some of the cloying sweetness of the pumpkin. When these first come out of the oven they are very crisp on the outside and dense and moist on the inside—sort of like little mini-spoonbreads. After they cook the texture becomes more uniform and more like the standard biscuit we all know and love.
- 1 cup canned pumpkin (not pie filling)
- ⅔ cup skim milk or other form of liquid
- 1½ cup flour (half white, half whole-wheat)
- 2 tbsp wheat germ
- 2 tbsp wheat bran
- 4 tbsp baking powder
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 tbsp salt (optional)
- Combine wet, combine dry, mix wet into dry, drop by generous spoonfuls onto baking sheet squirted with PAM.
- Bake 20 – 30 minutes at 450°F.