Guaque peppers are commonly used in Guatemala but may be hard to find in Southern California. Use guajillos instead. This recipe yields 4 servings.
- 1 x Beef filet - (abt 2 lbs)
- 2 tbl olive oil
- 3 tbl minced garlic
- 4 whl garlic cloves
- salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 3 lrg Roma tomatoes cut in half
- 1 sm Onion roughly chopped
- 2 x guaque peppers see
- 2 whl cloves
- 5 x black peppercorns
- 1 x epazote sprig leaves from tip
- 2 cup chicken stock
- Place Beef in roasting pan or Dutch oven.
- Coat with olive oil and minced garlic and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake uncovered at 400 degrees 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine tomatoes, Onion, garlic cloves, peppers, cloves and peppercorns in saucepan and cook over medium-low heat 8 minutes.
- Puree in blender with epazote and stock.
- Add pureed mixture to Beef, cover and bake 5 minutes longer. (Beef should remain slightly pink in center.)
- Place Beef on platter, cut into slices and ladle sauce over top.