Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Puerto Rican rice pudding
- Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 x 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and mashed
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 tablespoons of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 x 14 oz can coconut milk
- 4 cups of milk
- 1 can of evaporated milk
- 1 x 14 oz can coconut cream such as Coco López
- 1 cup short-grain rice
- ⅓ cup dried currants or raisins
- ½ cup of dark rum
- 4 tablespoons shredded sweetened coconut
- ½ cup sugar
- ground cinnamon for garnish
- Soak currants or raisins in rum over night.
- For best results, soak rice in 1 cup of milk for about two hours prior to cooking.
- Add the butter, salt, lemon peel, nutmeg, vanilla, cinnamon sticks, cloves, and ginger to three cups of milk in a deep sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Bring to a boil once again.
- Add the coconut cream, coconut milk, rice, and sugar.
- Cook covered over medium-low heat for about twenty minutes.
- Add the raisins, shredded coconut, and the evaporated milk and blend in.
- Continue to cook, uncovered, until the rice has absorbed all the water (about fifteen more minutes).
- Cooking times vary depending on your climate and elevation from sea level.
- Don't worry: this recipe is very forgiving of cooking lapses. Just don't overcook!.
- Pour into a square or rectangular dish about one inch high and allow to cool.
- Remove lemon peel, cinnamon sticks, and cloves.
- Sprinkle ground cinnamon or cinnamon sugar on the pudding and cut in two-inch squares for your diners. It is equally enjoyable after refrigeration. It will keep for several days, well covered in the refrigerator.
- Note: for a fruity variation, add 1 cup of diced mango during the last 5 minutes of cooking.