Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1½ cup chopped onion
- 3 clove garlic, minced
- 4 dried juniper berries, crushed
- ½ tsp crushed coriander seed
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, quartered, seeded
- 1¼ cup water
- ⅔ cup cider vinegar
- ⅓ to ½ cup honey
- 1 tbsp ground New Mexican red chile
- 1 dried medium-hot New Mexican red chile, crushed
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 oz square unsweetened chocolate, grated
- 4 lb to 5 lb pork rib roast
- Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan and saute onions in it over medium heat until soft.
- Add garlic, juniper berries, coriander seed and bay leaf and saute for 2 to 3 minutes longer.
- Add tomatoes, water, vinegar, honey, ground and crushed chile and salt.
- Simmer, covered, 30 minutes.
- Add chocolate and simmer, uncovered, for 20 to 30 minutes, until fairly thick.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Place roast fat side up in a roasting pan and baste generously with the sauce.
- Roast for about 3 hours, basting occasionally with sauce and pan drippings.
- Let roast sit for 10 minutes in a warm place before carving.
- Slice and spoon additional sauce over each portion.