Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 6 quarts water
- 1 whole chicken, rinsed well and patted dry (about 3 lb)
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 ancho chiles, stemmed and seeded
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 10 ounces white pearl onions, roots trimmed off
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts, trimmed and washed
- 9 ounces baby carrots, peeled
- 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 5 leeks, white parts only, split and washed
- 3 chorizo sausages (about 1 lb)
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley, to garnish
- coarse grain mustard, for dipping
- In a large stockpot, sauté garlic in oil until soft.
- Add the water, chicken, bay leaves, thyme, peppercorns, salt, and chiles; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Decrease heat to low and simmer, covered, for 1½ hours, occasionally skimming off any fat that rises to the surface.
- Transfer the chicken from the pot to a serving platter, and cut into serving pieces or shred.
- Add lemon zest to the broth.
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil.
- Prepare a small ice-water bath by putting ice and cold water into another saucepan.
- Blanch the onions by boiling for 1 minute, then transferring to ice-water.
- When the onions have cooled, peel them.
- Place all vegetables (including the onions) in the center of a large square of doubled up cheesecloth and tie in a tight bundle.
- Add the bundle to the pot and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Add the chorizo and simmer for 3 more minutes, occasionally skimming the surface of the soup.
- Remove the bundle, cut it open, and add vegetables to serving platter.
- Strain the broth, then add the parsley.
- Ladle the broth into small bowls and serve with chicken and vegetables with mustard on the side for dipping the chicken and vegetables into.