Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Meat and vegetable stew
- 2 pounds stewing beef (preferably chuck)), in 1 large piece
- 2 pounds stewing veal or pork, preferably in 1 piece
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 onions, chopped
- cloves from 1 head of garlic, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 or 3 bouillon cubes
- 1 chorizo sausage, skinned, crumbled
- 1 chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 8 tomatoes, chopped
- ½ to 1 guajillo chile, soaked and puréed
- ground cumin, to taste
- grated rind of ½ orange
- 1 sweet potato (or chunk of pumpkin or other winter squash), peeled, cut into chunks
- 2 zucchini, cut into bite-size pieces
- ½ cabbage, thinly sliced, blanched
- 3 ears of corn, husked, each broken into 3 pieces
- 1 apple, cored, cut into bite- size pieces
- 2 turnips, quartered (optional)
- 10 pitted prunes
- juice of 1 to 2 oranges
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, or to taste
- pinch powdered ginger
- 8 ounces green beans
- 14 ounces cooked drained chickpeas
- 4 ounces thin pasta, rice or orzo, cooked
- 6 green onions, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 2 pounds creamer potatoes, boiled until tender
- chipotle-tomato salsa
- guacamole (optional)
- chopped cilantro leaves
- Argentinean pumpkin-chile sauce
- Combine beef, veal or pork, the bay leaves, onions, garlic, cilantro, carrot and celery in a large pot and fill with water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Skim the scum that rises to the surface.
- Add bouillon cubes and cook for 1 hour, or until meat starts to become tender.
- Add chorizo, chicken, tomatoes, chile, cumin and orange rind; cook for 30 minutes.
- Skim off fat.
- Add sweet potato, zucchini, cabbage, corn, apple, turnips, prunes, orange juice, cinnamon and ginger; simmer 15 minutes, or until the zucchini is tender.
- Add green beans and chickpeas and heat through (the beans should be al dente; tender, but green, not gray).
- Season to taste with salt and skim off all surface fat.
- Serve in two courses: as a first course, ladle the hot broth over cooked pasta and garnish with sliced green onions.
- For main course, arrange the tender meats on a platter and carve.
- Dress vegetables with garlic vinaigrette and serve as an accompaniment, along with boiled potatoes.
- Offer salsa, guacamole, chopped onions, cilantro, and/or pumpkin sauce at the table.
- Serves 4, with leftovers for 3 or 4 more meals to store leftovers: refrigerate leftover meats and vegetables in their broth overnight.
- The next day, discard the layer of fat on the surface.
- Remove large pieces of meat and wrap tight; refrigerate for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
- Ladle vegetables (keep chickpeas separate) into covered containers and store in refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Strain broth into a clean container; refrigerate for up to 1 week (I recommend boiling it once or twice during the week, then straining it into a clean pot), or freeze for 2 to 4 months.