Makes 6 servings
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup prosciutto or ham, diced
- 1 cup uncooked U.S. arborio or medium-grain rice
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onions
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- Heat water and broth in 2-quart saucepan over medium heat until it comes to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add prosciutto; cook until brown around edges, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add rice and stir 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add wine; stir until absorbed.
- Increase heat to medium-high; stir in 1 cup water-broth mixture.
- Cook uncovered, stirring frequently, until liquid is absorbed.
- Continue stirring and adding remaining water-broth mixture, 1 cup at a time, allowing each cup to be absorbed before adding another.
- Cook until rice is tender and mixture has a creamy consistency, approximately 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in peas, green onions, cream, cheese, basil and pepper.
- Stir until mixture is creamy, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve immediately.