- 1 pkg yeast; Active, Dry
- 4 cups flour; Unbleached
- 1 1/2 cups warm (110-120 degrees) water
- 1 large egg; beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- coarse salt to coat
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Add salt and Sugar to yeast mixture.
- Blend in flour and knead dough until smooth, about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Cover and let dough rise until double in bulk. Punch down.
- Cut dough into small pieces and roll into ropes. Twist ropes into pretzel shapes and place on greased cookie sheet.
- Using a pastry brush, brush pretzels with egg and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Allow pretzels to rise until almost double in bulk.
- Bake at 425 degrees F. for 10 to 15 minutes or until browned.
- Best if eaten immediately.
- If not, store in airtight container.