- 3 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
- 1-2 hot red chile peppers or 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- juice of one lemon or wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small Onion, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 tbsp parsley or cilantro, chopped
- 2 dashes of salt
- several prawns; the larger the prawns, the better — cleaned, de-veined, tails left on
In a glass or nonmetallic bowl, mix all the ingredients except the prawns. Before adding the prawns, pour about half of the mixture into another bowl or jar to reserve for use as a sauce. Add the prawns to the remaining marinade turn and toss them gently to make sure they are covered. Marinate for at least a few hours or longer. Remove the prawns and set them aside. Pour the used marinade into a pan and quickly bring to a boil on the stove.
Thread the prawns on skewers, if desired. Cook the prawns on a charcoal grill over glowing coals, turning once and basting with the cooked marinade. Depending on their size, cooking times will vary a few minutes per side, more or less. Be careful not to overcook.
Serve immediately with the reserved sauce for dipping.