In this quick version, the pork is browned and then cooked in canned broth, rather than slow-simmered to produce its own broth.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Serves 6
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1½ lb pork shoulder or butt, fat removed, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground chiles
- 1 (4 oz) can mild chopped chiles
- 1 tbsp minced fresh or canned jalapeño peppers, or more, to taste
- 2 (10½-oz) cans condensed chicken broth
- 2 soup cans water
- 2 (15-oz) cans hominy, drained
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp cornmeal
- ¼ cup lime juice
Optional garnishes Edit
- sliced radishes
- chopped red onions
- shredded cabbage
- chunks of avocado
- chopped chiles
- quarters of fresh limes
- Heat the oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add the pork and cook for about 5 minutes, turning the meat to brown all sides.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent.
- Add the oregano, cumin, cinnamon, ground chiles, chopped chiles and jalapeños and cook, stirring, for two or three minutes, then add the chicken broth, water, hominy and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, about an hour.
- About 10 minutes before serving,stir in the cornmeal.
- Just before serving, stir in the lime juice (omit this if including lime quarters among the garnishes).
- Serve, passing a plate of optional garnishes.
Nutrition Information Edit
- Calories 355 | Carbohydrates 23 g | Protein 23 g | Fat 18 g Including Sat. Fat 5 g | Cholesterol 50 Mg | Sodium 850 mg | Calcium 42 mg | Dietary Fiber 4 g
- Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable , 1 bread / starch , 2 medium-fat meat , and 1½ fat