Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 1½ cups non-fat milk (divided)
- ¾ cup crystallized ginger
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon fresh (compressed) yeast
- 1¼ cups Sir Galahad all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup buckwheat flour
- 150 g (5.3 ounces) rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 egg whites (Heidi note: I ended up using 4)
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- The night before, gently warm ½ cup of the milk and dissolve the yeast. Don't heat the milk too much or it will kill the yeast.
- Chop the ginger and steep it in a different ½ cup of hot milk, let it steep for ten minutes, so the milk becomes flavored.
- Combine the remaining ½ cup milk with the steeped ginger milk and the yeast milk.
- In a separate large bowl combine all the dry ingredients.
- Pour in the milk liquids and stir until combined.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl, cover with plastic, and leave to rise on a counter overnight.
- The next morning, heat up your waffle iron. Melt the butter in a small saucepan.
- Whip the egg whites in a mixer . Using a mixer with paddle attachment (or by hand) stir in ¾ of the butter. Mix until fully incorporated.
- Add the egg whites, and finish by stirring in the rest of the melted butter.
- Ladle waffle batter onto heated waffle maker, and cook until deep and golden brown.