Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Chicken with onions
- 3 to 4 lb chicken
- 6 lemons, squeezed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 onions, sliced in rounds
- 1 or 2 red peppers or ¼ to ½ tsp cayenne
- 4 – 6 tbsp oil (Africans use more oil)
- bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooked rice for 4 – 6 people
- Wash and dry chicken, and cut into pieces.
- Marinate chicken in mixture of lemon juice, onions, garlic and 2 to 3 tbsp of the oil for several hours, turning occasionally as that all parts are covered.
- Remove chicken and grill, broil, or braise until all pieces are lightly browned on all sides.
- Drain onions and garlic, but retain the marinade.
- Use a heavy casserole, dutch oven, or fryer chicken; sauté onions and garlic in the remaining oil until soft.
- Add chicken, bay leaf, peppers or cayenne, salt and pepper.
- Simmer until chicken is tender (1 to 1½ hours) or bake covered in medium (325°F) oven.
- Add marinade now and then so the at the mixture remains moist.
- Serve over hot rice.