Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- Makes a 4 pound loaf
- 60 minutes of preparation
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 ts salt
- ¼ cup butter or margarine
- 1 c milk; hot
- 2 pk active dry yeast
- ¼ cup warm water (105°F)
- 2 eggs
- 4½ cups all-purpose flour; unsifted
- 3 eggs
- 4 cups walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 tbsp butter
- ⅓ cup butter or margarine; melted
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Stir sugar, salt and butter into hot milk; cool to lukewarm.
- A drop sprinkled on wrist will not feel hot.
- Sprinkle yeast over warm water in large bowl; stir to dissolve.
- Stir in lukewarm milk mixture.
- Add 2 eggs and 2½ cups flour; beat at high speed with electric mixer.
- With a wooden spoon gradually beat in remaining 2 cups flour.
- Knead with hand until dough is stiff enough to leave side of bowl.
- Place dough in lightly greased large bowl.
- Turn the dough over to bring up greased side.
- Cover with a towel; let rise in warm place (85 f), free from drafts, until double in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Make filling in medium bowl.
- Beat eggs slightly; add nuts, brown sugar, ⅓ cup butter, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Stir filling to blend well.
- Shape dough; punch down dough.
- On lightly floured surface turn out dough; cover with bowl and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll out to a rectangle 30 inches long by 20 inches wide.
- Spread with filling, to 1 inch from the edge.
- Starting from wide side, roll up tightly, as for jelly roll.
- With palms of hands, roll back and forth so that roll is even all over.
- On large greased cookie sheet, form roll into a large coil, seam side down.
- Let rise in warm place (85°F), covered with towel, free from drafts, until double in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and brush the roll with the melted butter.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes until golden.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Slice crosswise ¼ inch thick.