- Place potatoes in large saucepan and cover with cold water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until tender when tested with a knife,about 15 minutes.
- Drain,and set aside.
- In small bowl, combine 1 cup water, tomato purée, ketchup, tamarind paste, sugar, ginger, coriander, garlic, chili powder, lemon juice and salt to taste.
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add tomato paste mixture and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
- Add potatoes,stirring to coat.
- Cook, stirring often, 2 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro and serve hot.