- 2 lb Medium-sized boiling
- 5 tbl vegetable oil
- 1 tbl sesame seeds
- 3 x Good-sized cloves garlic --
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/8 tsp Ground asafetida -- ground
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper -- optional
- Peel the potatoes and cut into fingers ("French fries"), 1/3- to 1/2-inch thick. Put fingers into a bowl of cold water for half an hour or more.
- Drain and wipe dry.
- Heat the oil in an 8- to 9-inch skillet [or wok] over a medium flame. When it is hot, put in the potatoes and cook them, turning once or twice, for 8 to 10 minutes. The potatoes should be partially cooked and not browned.
- Remove potatoes with a slotted spoon to a plate and set aside.
- Put the sesame seeds into the same skillet. Stir once. Now add the slivers of garlic, continuing to stir and fry over a medium flame. When the garlic begins to turn brown [the browning happens quickly], put in the turmeric and asafetida. Stir once. Now quickly add the half-cooked potatoes, salt, and Cayenne. Stir again. Cover. Turn heat to low and cook gently until potatoes are done. Stir frequently.