Potato and Parsnip Latkes from the Public Health Cookbook, Seattle and King County Office of Public Health—original source of recipe, in the public domain
- Cook Time: About 30 minutes
- Serves: 5
- 2½ cups peeled and shredded baking potato
- 1¼ cup shredded parsnip
- 1¼ cup peeled and shredded sweet potato
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1¼ cups onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 large egg whites
- non-fat cooking spray
- non-fat sour cream
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- Place a colander in the sink and line with paper towels.
- Add the shredded baking potato, parsnip, sweet potato and sprinkle with the 1 teaspoon salt.
- Let stand for about 15–20 minutes.
- Gather the ends of the paper towels together and squeeze the potato mixture to remove excess liquid then transfer mixture to a large bowl.
- Add flour, onion and pepper and toss well.
- Add egg whites and mix well.
- Spray a large skillet with nonfat cooking spray then heat to medium-high heat.
- Spoon ⅓ cup of the batter into the skillet and cook 4–5 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Repeat with rest of mixture.
- Serve latkes with a dollop of non-fat sour cream sprinkled with chopped green onion.