Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Potato and Parsnip Latkes from the Public Health Cookbook, Seattle and King County Office of Public Health—original source of recipe, in the public domain
- Cook Time: About 30 minutes
- Serves: 5
- 2½ cups peeled and shredded baking potato
- 1¼ cup shredded parsnip
- 1¼ cup peeled and shredded sweet potato
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1¼ cups onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 large egg whites
- non-fat cooking spray
- non-fat sour cream
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- Place a colander in the sink and line with paper towels.
- Add the shredded baking potato, parsnip, sweet potato and sprinkle with the 1 teaspoon salt.
- Let stand for about 15–20 minutes.
- Gather the ends of the paper towels together and squeeze the potato mixture to remove excess liquid then transfer mixture to a large bowl.
- Add flour, onion and pepper and toss well.
- Add egg whites and mix well.
- Spray a large skillet with nonfat cooking spray then heat to medium-high heat.
- Spoon ⅓ cup of the batter into the skillet and cook 4–5 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Repeat with rest of mixture.
- Serve latkes with a dollop of non-fat sour cream sprinkled with chopped green onion.