- Start some onions sautéing in a little butter or oil.
- Maybe one large onion, chopped fine.
- Peel a few potatoes and chop into small pieces.
- When the onions are done, add the potatoes, and some salt to taste.
- Add 3 – 4 cups of chicken stock.
- Cook on low heat until the potatoes are soft.
- Add 3 cups of milk, some cooked peas, herbs (dill would be nice) and fresh pepper.
- Heat thoroughly and serve.
- A nice addition is about 8 oz of chopped lox, which can be had inexpensively as trimmings at many delis.
- Other soups can be made on this basic recipe. Smoked haddock works well here, too.