From my one of my great grandmothers. Refined, updated and simplified by my grandmother, preserved by my mother, passed on to me.
- 6 medium potatoes
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 tablespoon chopped onions
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons unbleached flour
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 can beer, any brand
- ½ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Boil potatoes in medium-size saucepan until just tender.
- Peel and slice.
- Fry bacon until crisp.
- Break into small pieces and mix with onion, celery and salt; set aside.
- Stir melted butter and flour in a small saucepan until blended.
- Add mustard and sugar.
- Slowly stir in beer and Tabasco sauce.
- Bring to boil, stirring constantly.
- Pour over potatoes.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
- Toss lightly and let stand 1 hour.
- Add bacon mixture; toss gently and serve.