Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 3 small to medium russet potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 to 2 Tbs. grated Onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. salt, plus more to taste
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp. dried
- 1/4 tsp. celery seed or dried oregano
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- vegetable oil, for frying
1. Place steamer basket in large saucepan with about 2 inches water. Place potatoes in steamer basket, cover and bring to a boil. Steam potatoes, covered, until tender, about 20 minutes. (potatoes can be just slightly firm at center.) Cool thoroughly. Then put potatoes in plastic bag and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
2. Using a box grater, grate potatoes, removing any large chunks of skin; place potatoes in large mixing bowl. Add salt and other seasonings, tossing mixture lightly with your hands to mix. Heat about 11/2 Tbs. oil in large skillet; cast iron works best, but if you’re adding Parmesan cheese, use a nonstick skillet.
3. Using about 1/2 cup grated potatoes each, form 3 or 4 patties, and place in skillet, leaving enough room between them to flip easily. Press patties firmly with spatula to shape. Cook over medium heat until nicely browned, flipping them once, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining mixture, adding more oil as necessary. Place cooked patties in warm oven while making remaining patties.