Potato Pancakes from the Public Health Cookbook by the Seattle & King County Department of Public Health—original source of recipe, public domain government resource
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Serves: 4
- 6 potatoes, coarsely grated
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 carrot, grated
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- black pepper
- vegetable oil for frying
- Put grated potato in a colander, set over a bowl or the sink, and press out the liquid with your hands. The potato will eventually turn pink, this is normal. Let the potato sit in the bowl for another 5 minutes and press again.
- Combine the potatoes with the milk, carrot and flour in a bowl. Stir the ingredients to mix.
- In a large, heavy skillet or non-stick pan, heat 1 Tbl. oil on medium heat.
- Add about ¼ cup of batter per cake, turning them when golden brown on the bottom.
- Place cakes on a plate covered with paper towels and keep warm in a low heated oven until all the cakes are ready.
- Serve potato pancakes with fresh applesauce or plain yogurt.