- Serves: me
- 2 pounds potatoes
- all-purpose flour as required
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 ounces butter, melted and cooled
- Boil potatoes until tender.
- Set aside until quite cold.
- Pass cold potatoes through a grater into a large bowl.
- Add half the volume of the potatoes in plain flour and mix well together.
- Add nutmeg, beaten egg and melted butter.
- Form into small dumpling shapes with damp hands.
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil.
- Place a few dumplings into the fast boiling water, and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Lift from water with a slotted spoon and drain.
- Cook remainder of dumplings a few at a time, until completed.
- Serve with a sauce of tomato and onion, flavoured with a little thyme and oregano, or sauce of your choice.