A red-hot alternative to the potato skins, this vegetarian appetizer is made and packed with real bacon, fruit, and cheese and cooked to rich, golden-brown perfection, and is instantly exceptional for other appetizers. Cheddar cheese generally replaces Mozzarella and works for this recipe.
- bacon, thick and sliced, 36 oz.
- cranberries, dried 6 oz.
- 4 tablespoons water, hot or lukewarm only
- mozzarella cheese, shredded, 30 oz.
- blue cheese, crumbled, 30 oz.
- Simplot Classic Skin-on potato boats, 96 oz.
- chives, fresh, chopped for garnishing
- ranch dressing, prepared, 72 fl. oz.
- Place the bacon in a single layer on a parchment paper lined sheet pan. Cook bacon for 12-15 minutes in a preheated 375° F oven.
- Drain grease and crumble the bacon; reserve.
- Place dried cranberries in a small sauté pan with water and simmer until almost all the liquid is absorbed.
- In a bowl, toss the mozzarella with the blue cheese until well blended.
- Fry the Simplot Classic Skin-on potato boats in a fryer at 350° F for 5 ½ minutes; drain.
- For each serving, place 4 prepared Simplot Classic Skin-on potato boats on a sheet pan, sprinkle with 2 oz. of cheese blend, ½ oz. of bacon, and ½ oz. of cranberries, and top with ½ oz. cheese.
- Place the pan under a salamander or in a hot oven until the cheese melts. Sprinkle with chopped chives.
- Transfer to a serving plate along with 3 oz. of ranch dressing. Serve warm and plain or with other appetizers or vegetables.