- 4 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1 cup finely chopped Onion
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups peeled and diced Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 1/2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp. dried sage
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 4 to 6 oz. grated sharp Cheddar Cheese
1. In large saucepan, melt 2 Tbs. butter over medium heat. Add Onion, and cook, stirring often, until softened, 7 minutes. Add broth, potatoes and salt. Increase heat, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer potatoes gently, partially covered, until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
2. Meanwhile, in small saucepan, melt remaining 2 Tbs. butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, and cook, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens slightly, about 5 minutes. Whisk 1 cup of hot Potato broth, a little at a time, into sauce. Simmer another minute, and remove from heat.
3. Using slotted spoon, transfer cooked potatoes to Potato ricer or food mill placed over medium mixing bowl. (Or, transfer potatoes to medium bowl, and mash with Potato masher.) rice potatoes, then stir back into broth along with sauce, sage and black pepper to taste. Bring soup just to a boil, stirring, then remove from heat. Stir in Cheese, a little at a time, until melted. Taste soup, adjusting seasonings if necessary. Serve hot.