Traditional Spanish tapas fare, pork pinchos make a great main course when served with a salad of tender cabbage and creamy avocado sweetened with juicy orange sections. An extra squeeze of orange just before serving is a nice touch.
- Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: South Beach Diet Taste of Summer Meal Plan
- Prep time: 30 minutes | Marinating time: 30 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes
- Makes 4 servings
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- 1½ lb pork center loin, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 (1-lb) head napa cabbage, thinly sliced (6 cups)
- 1 seedless orange, peeled and chopped
- 1 small avocado, finely chopped
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- pinch cayenne
- 1 small orange, peeled and cut into 8 wedges
Special equipment Edit
- 4 (12-inch) skewers
- In a large bowl, combine paprika, cumin, garlic powder, and cayenne.
- Add pork and turn to coat; cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Thread pork evenly onto skewers.
- In another large bowl, combine cabbage, chopped orange, avocado, scallions, oil, salt, black pepper, and cayenne.
- Transfer salad to a large platter.
- Lightly coat a grill or grill pan with cooking spray and heat to medium-high.
- Grill pork, turning frequently, until cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Serve warm on top of salad, and put orange wedges on the side.
Nutritional information Edit
- 390 Calories | 20g Fat | 5g Saturated Fat | 40g Protein | 13g Carbs | 5g Fiber | 240mg Sodium