Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
- 4 pork chops
- 1 cup rice (white or brown long cooking)
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped bell pepper
- 3 oz tomato sauce
- 1 jalapeno or serrano pepper, chopped (optional)
- season to taste with garlic salt, cayenne and black pepper
- enough boiling water to cook rice
- In heavy skillet, brown seasoned pork chops and set aside.
- In second (or cleaned skillet, if same skillet is used) pour the cooking oil, heat on medium heat, and add rice.
- Stir rice until it loses its translucency and puffs (not until it turns brown,although a few pieces may be brown).
- Stir in onion and peppers, then tomato sauce to which the spices have been added.
- Lay pork chops on top of rice mixture; add boiling water.
- Cover and cook until the water has been absorbed and the rice is done.
- Add more boiling water if necessary.
- Chicken and Spanish rice: pieces of chicken may be boiled gently for about 15 minutes and then laid on rice before it is cooked. Finish cooking the chicken with the rice, at a low-medium heat, by adding the boiling water from the chicken. Also, boneless chicken breasts may be first slightly broiled, or else seasoned and laid uncooked on top of rice mixture, then boiling water poured over rice and chicken to cook until done. Enjoy.
- Ground meat and spanish rice: brown in skillet 1 pound of ground meat with onion, peppers, and seasoning to taste. Add meat mixture to rice just before it is completely done and all the water is absorbed.