Mexican Chicken in Green Sauce.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Serves 4 to 6
- ½ cup (125 ml) shelled pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1 cup (250 ml) chopped cilantro (coriander leaves)
- 1 cup (250 ml) chopped scallions (spring onions)
- 1 cup (250 ml) chopped canned or fresh tomatillos
- 1 jalapeño or other hot green chile, seeded and chopped, or to taste
- about ½ cup (125 ml) chicken stock or water
- 3 tbs (45 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 – 3 lbs (900 – 1350 g) chicken parts
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Toast the pumpkin seeds in a dry skillet over moderate heat until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Combine in a blender with the cilantro, scallions, tomatillos, jalapeño, and enough chicken stock to make a smooth, thin paste.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large heavy skillet, preferably non-stick, over moderate heat.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and brown on all sides in the hot oil.
- Add the green sauce and enough additional chicken stock to make a thin, soupy sauce.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer uncovered until the chicken is tender, 20 to 30 minutes.