Guatemalan chicken with pineapple. It smells sooo good while it cooks!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 3 – 3½ lbs broiler-fryer chicken, in pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pineapple, cut in 1 inch cubes or 1 (20 ounce) can unsweetened pineapple chunks, drained
- ½ cup dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 dash pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- hot cooked rice (can cook concurrently so all is ready at the same time)
- Heat oil in lg skillet; cook chicken on med heat until brown on all sides—approx 15 minutes.
- Remove chicken, cook onionand garlic in remaining oil until onion is tender, stirring frequently.
- Return chicken to skillet.
- Mix all remaining ingredients except tomatoes (and rice!); pour over chicken.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add tomatoes; simmer, uncovered, until thickest pieces of chicken are cooked through—approx 20 minutes.
- Serve with rice.