Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Pickled Chicken. This recipe is for 2 serves.
- 1 x 4 pound roasting chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, scraped and thinly sliced
- Place all the ingredients in a large kettle or heavy casserole, cover, and cook over very low heat until the chicken is tender, about 1½ hours.
- Allow to cool.
- Place the chicken pieces on a serving platter with the vegetables arranged around them.
- Remove and discard the peppercorns and bay leaf.
- Pour the liquid in the casserole into a bowl, then spoon off all the oil (it is easier to do it this way).
- Save the oil, incidentally, for sauteing other meats and poultry.
- Pour the stock over the chicken pieces and refrigerate.
- The liquid will set into an aspic.
- If a firmer jelly is preferred, add to the stock ½ tablespoon unflavored gelatin softened in water and stir to dissolve, over low heat, before pouring it over the chicken.
- In very hot weather i find this is sometimes necessary.
- If any oil escapes being spooned off, it will separate out when the jelly sets.
- Just top the dish and pour it off, or remove it with a piece of blotting paper or paper towel.
- To serve, decorate a platter with lettuce leaves, sliced tomatoes, cooked green peas and beans, and sliced pimento or other suitable vegetables such as artichoke hearts.