- Prep: 15mins
- Cook: 40mins
- Serves 12
- 225 g / 8 oz plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 100 g / 4 oz caster sugar
- grated zest and juice 1 orange
- 175 g / 6 oz butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp double cream
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C / fan 160 °C /350 °F / gas mark 4.
- Sift the flour, and baking powder into a bowl, add the salt, sugar and orange zest.
- Add the butter and rub in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles crumbs.
- Beat the egg yolks and cream together then stir into the flour mixture and mix with your hands to make a crumbly dough.
- Press into the base of a 26 x 16cm (approx. 10x 6½in) rectangular tin, pushing it up a little around the edges of the tin to make a rim.
- Prick the base all over with a fork.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven.
- Toss the apple slices, caster sugar and juice of half the orange together then arrange the apple slices over the dough.
- Bake for further 20 minutes or until the slices are tender but not mushy.
- If liked you can pop the mazurka under a hot grill to caramelise the apple slices slightly.
- Leave to cool slightly in the tin before cutting into 12 rectangles.
- Serve warm or cold with cream.