Soup with liver dumplings
- ½ lb beef liver, ground
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter or beef marrow
- 1 clove garlic, mashed
- ½ teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 dash marjoram, grounded
- 1 dash mace
- 2 quarts consommé
- Mix ground beef liver with butter, garlic, lemon rind, marjoram and mace.
- Beat in eggs and then bread crumbs, flour, salt and pepper.
- Let it stand in room temperature for about 1 hour.
- Shape into small balls (size of ping-pong balls), bring consomme to a boil, drop in liver dumplings.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes (dumplings should be hard).