- 2 (10-oz.) bags fresh spinach
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 medium Onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 2 cups low-fat (1%) milk or soy milk
- 2 Tbs. cornstarch
- 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp. salt or more to taste
- 2 to 3 oz. Gorgonzola Cheese,
- crumbled (optional)
- 1 medium tomato, cut into 1/2-inch dice ( 3/4 cup)
- 1 1/3 cups instant (5-minute) polenta
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Fill sink with water. Add spinach, removing any large stems if desired; pat down to remove any grit. Transfer leaves to large pot in batches. Place pot over high heat, cover and cook until spinach is just wilted, about 5 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold water and drain again. Squeeze to remove excess moisture. Coarsely chop spinach and set aside.
In medium saucepan, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add Onion, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. In small bowl, whisk together milk, cornstarch, flour and salt. Increase heat to medium and gradually whisk milk mixture into Onion. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is steaming hot and thick, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in Gorgonzola if desired, tomato and spinach. Cover to keep warm.