Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
- Bring the water to a boil, and add the salt.
- Whisk in the polenta, pouring it in a slow, steady stream so that lumps don't form.
- Lower the heat, and cook about 30 minutes while stirring.
- Alternatively, cook the polenta in a double boiler over simmering water for 45 minutes, stirring it every 15 minutes or so.
- If you wish to serve soft polenta, keep it over the heat in a double boiler until needed.
- To make firm polenta, pour it into a pan and set aside; after a while, it will cool and firm up.
- Turn it out of its pan and cut into ½-inch slices.
- To broil or grill the polenta, brush both sides of each slice with olive oil, and cook until lightly browned.
- The slices can also be fried in butter or olive oil, until lightly browned or until crisp.
- Slices can be used as layers in a casserole.