This is a great appetizer that can be made ahead of time and reheated in the oven or on a grill. I love to stir in freshly chopped cilantro before pouring into baking pan.
- 1½ cups water
- 1½ cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 ounce onion soup mix
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- ½ cup whole kernel corn
- ½ cup bell peppers, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper or cherry pepper, chopped, to taste (I like more)
- ½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese or feta
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Bring the water, milk and butter to a boil in a 3-quart saucepan.
- With a wire whisk, stir in the cornmeal and onion soup mix.
- Simmer uncovered, stirring constantly, for about 20 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in corn and peppers.
- Spread the mixture in a lightly greased 9-inch square baking pan and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake in 350 °F oven for about 20 minutes.
- Let stand until cool and firm.
- When cool, cut into triangles.
- (cut into larger squares and cut squares in half to form triangles).
- At this point it can be refrigerated or frozen.
- When ready to serve, place on cookie sheet and reheat in oven or place on grill to heat until hot and a little crispy.