- 4 pkg. dry yeast
- 8 eggs, beaten well
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3 cups sugar dissolved in 4 cups warm water
- 1 cup water
- 7 lbs all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp salt
- ½ lb butter
- ¼ cup oil
- Have all ingredients at room temperature.
- Heat oven to 200°F and turn off.
- Prepare yeast with 1 tbsp sugar and 1 cup water, stir and set aside for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, sift flour and make a well in the centre.
- Pour butter, oil, salt and eggs into well; then begin adding sugar and water and yeast mixture, working in flour to make a medium-textured dough.
- Turn out on your work area and knead for 15 – 20 minutes, using extra flour if necessary.
- Cut through the dough two or three times with a knife to examine for air holes.
- When these are evident, the dough has been well kneaded.
- Set dough into a large roasting pan, which has been lightly greased.
- Grease top of dough very lightly with butter or oil, so that it will not develop a crust.
- Cover and place in oven until doubled in bulk, punch down and allow to rise again.
- On a lightly oiled surface, dump dough out and cut into sections desired.
- This dough may be braided; or made into regular loaf pans, or large rounds which are customarily used for weddings.
- Place in greased pans, place in oven again to rise for about 1 hour.
- Brush loaves with egg and milk and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Preheat oven to 300°F and bake loaves 1 hour or until done.