- Slice the plantains at an angle to produce longer, larger slices, about 2 inches each.
- Heat the oil in a deep skillet over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Combine the water, ginger, ½ teaspoon of the salt, and the pepper in a small bowl.
- Drop the plantain slices into the ginger mixture.
- Coat each slice evenly.
- Shake off any excess liquid and drop the slices into the hot oil.
- Fry until the slices are golden brown.
- Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon to a paper towel—covered plate to drain.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1 teaspoon salt.
- Serve hot.