Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- First wash rice in several changes of water, until the water is no longer milky. Do this by first running water over the rice in a strainer. Then place the rice in a bowl and fill with water (note how milky the water becomes). Drain and fill the bowl again. Repeat until the water is relatively clear.
- Now place the rice in the bowl, cover by an inch with water, and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water, 3 1/2 to 4 quarts, to a boil and add some salt.
- Drain the rice and add it to the pot.
- Stir the rice for about 30 seconds so that it do not stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Bring the water back to a boil and cook the rice, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Drain, shake in the strainer or colander to rid the rice of excess water, and serve at once in a heated dish.
This recipe provides six servings.
Basmati rice has an earthy, perfumed fragrance all its own. It's a very light, delicate rice and is perfect with curries and for pilafs. You can find it in Indian import stores as well as stores that stock a good selection of grains. The rice should be cooked just before serving. It takes only 5 minutes. Make sure you have a warm serving dish ready.