Christmas bread cake
- Makes 1 loaf
- 5 eggs
- 2½ cups flour (all-purpose)
- 2 cups sugar, icing
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¾ cup walnuts or pecans, chopped fine
- ⅔ cup raisins
- 4 oz orange peel, chopped fine
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1 tbsp lemon peel, grated
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 tbsp vodka or brandy
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat eggs with sugar using an electric mixer for 5 minutes at high speed.
- Mix chopped nuts, raisins and orange peel with 2 tablespoons of flour.
- Mix remaining flour with baking powder and salt.
- cream together the butter, lemon peel and vanilla extract until fluffy.
- Beat in vodka, then add egg mixture gradually, beating constantly.
- Add the flour mixture and beat for 5 minutes.
- Fold fruit-nut mixture into the batter.
- Turn into a greased and floured 9x5x3-inch pan or a 1½ quart ring mold.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour.
- Cool cake in pan on wire rack for ten minutes, then turn cake out onto rack and cool completely.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and set aside to mellow for a couple of days.