Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
With a rich taste of fennel and oozing mozzarella cheese, these hot sandwiches are going to disappear quickly. This recipe serves 6, assuming each person only has 1 sandwich. In reality, plan on making more if you've got a hungry crowd to feed.
- 1 lb. supreme lean ground beef (or lean ground turkey)
- 1 tbsp. chopped onion
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. fennel
- ¾ tsp. oregano
- 6 kaiser rolls, split
- 12 slices mozzarella cheese (roughly a 1 lb. brick of mozzarella)
- Brown the onion with the meat. Drain off the fat.
- Add the tomato sauce, ketchup, Parmesan and the seasonings. Simmer this mix for 20 minutes.
- To assemble the sandwiches, divide the meat between the bottom halves of the rolls. Put two slices of mozzarella on each sandwich. Add the tops, wrap the sandwiches in aluminum foil and bake for 15 minutes at 350 °F degrees.
Note: It doesn't hurt to be generous with the seasonings; rounded measuring spoons is perfectly acceptable. The original recipe called for only 1 slice of cheese but I found this to be too little to adequately cover the filling. Buy a 1 lb. brick of mozzarella cheese and you should be able to get about 12 slices out of it if you use the butt ends of the brick...don't slice the cheese too thickly and you'll make your quota.