The only part in this recipe (Piyaz - Turkish Black-eyed pea salad) that is time consuming is the peas. If you haven't got the time to boil the peas just buy canned peas (3 cans should do it).
- ½ large red onion, grated or ground by hand with a bit of salt sprinkled on the onion
- 2 cups black-eyed peas, soaked for 24hrs in salty water and boiled until done in the same water for soaking and drain well
- 4 roma tomatoes, diced
- ⅓ cup cilantro
- 2 tablespoons dill weed (dry or fresh what ever is available)
- 4 freshly squeezed lemons
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- salt and black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1½ teaspoons sumac
- 4-6 finely chopped garlic
- Toss all the ingredients together.
- Marinate for a few hours or 24hrs and serve.
- Great with barbequed salmon.