Spinach pie for Passover. This cheese dish could be (but is not, traditionally) eaten during Passover, but it is usually prepared for other days.
- 1½ lbs fresh spinach
- 3 eggs, beaten
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- ¼ cup matzoh meal
- 4 sheets matzoh
- water, cold
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp walnut
- Coarsely chop the stems and leaves.
- Mix with the eggs, salt, pepper, and matzoh meal.
- Set aside moisten the sheets of matzoh with cold water, just enough to soften but not so much that they break up.
- Rub a heatproof glass or metal baking dish, about 9x6x2", with all but 1 teaspoon of the oil.
- Put 2-½ sheets of the moist matzoh -- big enough to turn up around the edges -- on the bottom of the dish.
- Add the spinach mixture and cover with remaining 1-½ sheets of the matzoh for the pie cover.
- Brush with the reserved 1 teaspoon of oil and sprinkle the walnuts over the top.
- Bake in a preheated 350 °f oven for 30 minutes.
- Serve warm, cut into generous squares or triangles.
- Mix ½ pound ground beef with the spinach, eggs, salt, pepper, and matzoh meal, and proceed as above.
- Or chop ¼ pound farmer cheese and ¼ pound of feta cheese and mix this with the spinach, eggs, salt, pepper, and matzoh meal, and proceed as for the spinach pie.
Savory pie Recipes