Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Spinach pie for Passover. This cheese dish could be (but is not, traditionally) eaten during Passover, but it is usually prepared for other days.
- 1½ lbs fresh spinach
- 3 eggs, beaten
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- ¼ cup matzoh meal
- 4 sheets matzoh
- water, cold
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp walnut
- Coarsely chop the stems and leaves.
- Mix with the eggs, salt, pepper, and matzoh meal.
- Set aside moisten the sheets of matzoh with cold water, just enough to soften but not so much that they break up.
- Rub a heatproof glass or metal baking dish, about 9x6x2", with all but 1 teaspoon of the oil.
- Put 2-½ sheets of the moist matzoh -- big enough to turn up around the edges -- on the bottom of the dish.
- Add the spinach mixture and cover with remaining 1-½ sheets of the matzoh for the pie cover.
- Brush with the reserved 1 teaspoon of oil and sprinkle the walnuts over the top.
- Bake in a preheated 350 °f oven for 30 minutes.
- Serve warm, cut into generous squares or triangles.
- Mix ½ pound ground beef with the spinach, eggs, salt, pepper, and matzoh meal, and proceed as above.
- Or chop ¼ pound farmer cheese and ¼ pound of feta cheese and mix this with the spinach, eggs, salt, pepper, and matzoh meal, and proceed as for the spinach pie.
Savory pie Recipes