Finely Ground Beef, Frozen by the US Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- ½ cup catsup
- ⅓ cup tomato juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 eggs (or equivalent egg mix), beaten
- ¾ cup fresh breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup finely chopped onions
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1½ pounds finely ground beef
- In a large bowl, combine catsup, tomato juice, salt, pepper, eggs, bread crumbs, onions, and mustard.
- Add ground beef and mix thoroughly.
- Press beef mixture into a lightly oiled 9″ x 5″ loaf pan.
- In a small bowl combine topping ingredients.
- Spread over the top of the raw meat loaf mixture.
- Bake at 400 °F for 35–45 minutes, until internal temperature is at least 160 °F.
- Drain off fat and discard. Allow to stand for 5 minutes to allow meat loaf to firm up for slicing.
- Slice into six portions.