Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This recipe yields 8 servings.
- 2 chickens
- water as needed
- 2½ tsp salt
- 3 large roma tomatoes roasted
- 1 onion - (abt ¼ lb) roasted, and sliced thick
- 2 guajillo peppers stemmed, seeded, toasted, and soaked in hot water
- ⅓ cup pepitoria (green squash seeds) toasted
- ½ cup sesame seeds toasted
- 1 cinnamon stick - (2" long)
- 2 oz Mexican chocolate
- 3 tbsp achiote paste
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 whole clove
- ½ cup sweet vermouth
- Cut each chicken into 4 equal parts.
- Place chicken pieces in dutch oven.
- Add water to almost cover and 1½ teaspoons salt.
- Cover and cook until chicken is just done, about 25 minutes.
- Set aside (if there is much liquid, drain it off).
- Combine tomatoes, onion, peppers, pepitoria, sesame seeds, cinnamon stick, chocolate, achiote paste, chicken stock, 1 teaspoon salt and clove.
- Bring to boil and simmer 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Blend in a food processor or blender and strain through medium sieve.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Sauce should not be too thick or too thin.
- When ready to serve, add vermouth to chicken in pot.
- Simmer 3 minutes, then add sauce and cook 5 minutes longer.