This recipe yields 8 servings.
- 2 chickens
- water as needed
- 2½ tsp salt
- 3 large roma tomatoes roasted
- 1 onion - (abt ¼ lb) roasted, and sliced thick
- 2 guajillo peppers stemmed, seeded, toasted, and soaked in hot water
- ⅓ cup pepitoria (green squash seeds) toasted
- ½ cup sesame seeds toasted
- 1 cinnamon stick - (2" long)
- 2 oz Mexican chocolate
- 3 tbsp achiote paste
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 whole clove
- ½ cup sweet vermouth
- Cut each chicken into 4 equal parts.
- Place chicken pieces in dutch oven.
- Add water to almost cover and 1½ teaspoons salt.
- Cover and cook until chicken is just done, about 25 minutes.
- Set aside (if there is much liquid, drain it off).
- Combine tomatoes, onion, peppers, pepitoria, sesame seeds, cinnamon stick, chocolate, achiote paste, chicken stock, 1 teaspoon salt and clove.
- Bring to boil and simmer 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Blend in a food processor or blender and strain through medium sieve.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Sauce should not be too thick or too thin.
- When ready to serve, add vermouth to chicken in pot.
- Simmer 3 minutes, then add sauce and cook 5 minutes longer.