- Serves 6 – 8.
- 2 cups dried pinto beans, pre-soaked
- 3 large potatoes, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp (80 ml) peanut oil
- Cover the pinto beans with water, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until beans are just tender.
- Add the potato chunks, celery and salt, along with more water if necessary to cover.
- Continue to cook over low heat.
- Just before the potatoes and beans are tender, gently fry the onion in oil in a large, heavy skillet or stew pot.
- Using a slotted spoon, add the beans and potatoes to the pot, and stir until well mixed and heated through.
- Serve hot over rice or a stiff porridge.